Sunday, February 17, 2008

Here's hoping that the rest of this trip turns out much better...

I was booked on a pair of Southwest flights, which is new to me as I have never flown them before. And after today, I have no plans to fly them again. I connect in Baltimore and have a 45 minute layover. In the time between flights, I changed terminals, stopped for some food and waited at least 15 minutes at the gate. Meanwhile, Southwest was able to not transfer my luggage to my next flight. Only when I arrive in Pittsburgh just before 10 p.m. did this become known to me.

The rep at the counter said they "think" my bag will arrive Sunday morning but they won't get it to me until around 5 p.m. Hey, doesn't UConn play at 2 p.m.? That's right. I'm told all about the airline's limited liability and how if I need to replace anything, like a suit over 50 bucks, I need to appeal to their corporate office in Dallas.

I get to the hotel and the lady at the front desk -- a Rhode Island native, I come to find out -- hooks me up with a toothbrush, comb, toothpaste, etc. Plus she gives me a bottle of water and cookies. At this point I'm thinking things are looking up.

That is until I decided I was going to meet up with some of my fellow beat writers. I call for a cab and I'm told it will be no more than 20 minutes. 45 minutes after that call, I get a call telling me everyone is calling it a night. By the time I go from the lobby to my room, the cab driver who just pulled up calls. Thanks, buddy. I should have sent him to get my luggage. I'd have it in time for the conference tournament.

No comments: