Saturday, January 27, 2007

Hi my name is Joe Perez and I am the Norwich Bulletin's UConn women's basketball beat writer (Thanks, Rich). You may not know me because I missed the DePaul game. And, as everyone in these parts knows, if you missed the DePaul game, you might as well have missed the entire season. At least the seems to be the case today.

As I attempted to enter through the SAME DOOR I have entered Gampel Pavilion from ALL SEASON, I found the door was locked. Coming behind me was Assistant coach Chris Dailey. When she asked me to confirm the door was locked, she tried to enter through an ajacent set of doors. She told the door security detail that she "didn't know about about" me. I flashed a smile and my media credential and the Guardians of Gampel let me through. As I made my way down the stairs, Dailey turned to the security at the base of the stairs and told them I didn't belong here.

The "guard" is someone who knows me by name and they held their ground saying I entered illegally. I suppose I will be deported to Mexico any day now. Thanks, Border Patrol.

I guess Dailey had a valid concern. The combination of media credential and wearing pink in support of the WBCA's cancer awareness initiative gave me away as an international spy (if you consider Norwich to be outside the U.S.) who timed my entrance to swipe away the secrets of the Huskies' superb free throw shooting.

What is more amusing is the "guard" who knows me by name was likely on his radio calling for help to handle a security breach. When you hear about the writer carried out of Gampel in handcuffs, you'll know why there wasn't a game story in tomorrow's editions.

No comments: